This course is aimed at students who wish to pursue a career in bakery or patisserie, either within a craft or industry setting, in roles such as quality management, food marketing or new product development. It is designed to give students a fundamental understanding of food science and food safety, progressing to specialist knowledge of cereal, flour , sugar and chocolate technology, delivered in a vocational setting.
Student are taught in the £7.4 million Reaseheath Food Centre – an industry-leading academy with an international reputation in the food and drink sector. The new, state-of-the-art facilities include a commercial dairy, butchery, commercial bakery, and innovation rooms for new product development (NPD) and scale-ups. As a college, we pride ourselves on our partnerships with the food and dairy industry, and work with businesses to create bespoke courses and training programmes to meet a wide range of industry needs.
Modules are delivered through practical work and theoretical lectures and include:
Year 1 (Level 4)
- Food materials and product manufacture
- Food safety in manufacturing
- Food science and composition
- Flour technology
- Sugar and chocolate technology
- Artisan bakery skills
- Business studies with law
Year 2 (Level 5)
- Food innovation and the new product development
- Applied nutrition in the food industry
- Research methods
- Artisan patisserie and desserts
- Industrial bread making
- Processing and quality assurance of baked goods
Learning is assessed by a combination of assignments – including essays, reports, presentations and seminars – plus practical assessments and examinations. You will develop specialist practical skills using the state-of-the-art food processing facilities, which include a butchery, commercial bakery and commercial dairy.
Length of Course
Part-time: 4 years blended learning
A minimum of 150 UCAS points which may be obtained from GCE A Levels, or one of the following qualifications in a relevant subject:
- Level 3 Extended Diploma / Diploma
- BTEC National Certificate / Diploma
- OCR National Diploma / Extended Diploma
- Irish / Scottish Highers in relevant subject
- Advanced GNVQ
- QAA recognised Access to HE Diploma, Open College Units or Open University Credits
- For mature students (aged 21+) substantial work experience will be considered, as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications
- Apply directly to Reaseheath
The combination of practical and academic training you will gain during your degree will equip you with the skills required to enter a graduate career in food-related industries, or to undertake further training or research.
- New Product Development
- Research and development
- Food marketing
- Laboratory Analysis & Testing
- Bakery entrepreneur
HOW MUCH WILL THIS COURSE COST?
If you are under 19 on 31st August 2016 the tuition fees and exam costs are free for our courses. If you are aged 19 or over you may have to pay a fee.
You may also be required to pay costs associated with study tours or additional qualifications.
For more information on fees and to find out about what financial support may be available to you visit the student finance pages on Reasheath's website.