What are traineeships?
A traineeship is a work based educational training programme for 16-24 year olds that provides you with the valuable skills and experience to begin your career in a working environment.
They were created in order to tackle the lack of experience expected by employers. It can serve as a way into work for young people.
What are the benefits?
- It is a great opportunity to enhance your CV through experience and transferable skills
- It will put you in a great position against similar candidates at an interview and could give you the edge
- Support with Maths and English is available as part of a traineeship
- Getting familiar with a working environment is a valuable experience and will prepare you for full time employment
- With some employers there is a potential for a permanent position if there is a role available
Am I eligible for a traineeship?
Anyone applying for a traineeship must:
- Be unemployed / work fewer than 16 hours per week
- Have little work experience
- Be aged 16 to 24 years old
- Be qualified below level 3
Will I be paid?
Not necessarily but most at least support you with travel and meal expenses. Financial support may be available for those who qualify due to financial or disability circumstances etc.
For more information about traineeships visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/traineeships