What's the job?
Working in partnership with Plymouth City College, we are offering a 5 year apprenticeship programme where you will gain practical experience in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
Job purpose: To acquire engineering skills to the highest level following an established Apprenticeship Programme in order to become qualified to join the site Production Engineering Team as a fully-fledged Multi-skilled Technician. Contribute to achieving the goals of the factory by efficiently carrying out any assigned operation or task, applying and using your acquired engineering skills to the highest level. Provide an innovative proactive engineering service to the site based on skill, experience and continuous improvement. Provide flexibility when required for the needs of the department and the business. The aim is to manufacture the company’s products to a high standard in a cost-effective manner, within current legislative and company policies.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Willingness to be flexible in all areas of the production and other areas when required
- To be able to and willing to learn new skills, seek opportunities for personal development, develop skills of communication to pass knowledge to others
- Learn problem-solving techniques to solve problems by considering all options, evaluating potential solutions and implementing actions
- Be available for regular meetings with NVQ assessors or on-site personnel and verifier
- Co-operate effectively with all other team members and all other operationally based staff to enable the team to operate effectively
- Ensure engineering work is carried out within time constraints
- Complete stores requisitions for parts required and contract services
- Once trained to do so, carry out risk assessments on plant
- Continually monitor plant conditions and report/repair defects under supervision
- Ensure that work is completed to a high standard and that safety procedures are followed at all times
- Communicate effectively with assessor, tutors and immediate team members
- Enjoy working as part of team and other apprentice / students, feeding back assignment / work progress
- Willing to take on new tasks and procedures within the work environment and complete work and assignments to agreed timelines
- Follow instructions with reference to a superior when necessary
- Plan and organise daily tasks, projects and assignments
- Ensure Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) by maintaining a tidy site appearance in line with Food Industry best practice, carrying out all work in a safe, hygienic and professional manner, undertaking continuous training in Health & Safety and GMP as required to ensure compliance
- Ensure effective, efficient and timely completion of site engineering tasks and planned maintenance
- Overhaul and repair of plant under supervision during and after production
- Drive department and operational KPI’s to hit set targets
- Under supervision complete control/legislative documentation and record any required data in the appropriate format
- To be actively involved in plant improvement groups
- Regular revision of progress with site mentor
Key performance indicators:
- Complete the relevant paperwork and portfolio for NVQ evidence purposes
- Attend regular meetings with NVQ assessors or on-site personnel and verifier
- Maintain a detailed log of all work carried out
- GMP standards are maintained to the highest level
- Correct PPE is used when carrying out duties
- Safe operating practices, adhere to company procedures with regards to safety, quality and hygiene
- On time delivery of completed paperwork
- Completion of daily checklists as required for audit purposes
2 years into the role:
- Feedback improvements on new tasks and procedures within the work environment and help to implement them
- Apply problem-solving techniques like RCA, 4M
- Follow instructions without reference to a superior on most occasions and only when necessary
4+ years into the role:
- Set up new procedures, obtain feedback for improvements, implement them and review success
- Identify the appropriate problem-solving technique (like RCA, 4M and SMED, etc) and apply it successfully
- Follow instructions without reference to a superior on all occasions (excluding exceptional circumstances
About the Company
Premier Foods is one of Britain’s biggest listed food companies, employing over 4,000 colleagues at 15 manufacturing sites and offices up and down the country.
Many of our brands have been part of UK life for more than a century and you’ll find them in 94% of British households.
Our much-loved brands include Mr Kipling, Cadbury, Bisto, Batchelors, Ambrosia, Sharwood’s, Oxo, Loyd Grossman, Homepride, Paul Hollywood and McDougall’s, with some supported by our strategic partnerships with Mondelez and Nissin.
What do you need?
- Ability to cope with working full day including shift work (double days, nights or weekends)
- Ability to get to work by own means
- Be able-bodied to carry a number of manual tasks in various positions (example working in confined spaces or lifting equipment/tools etc)
- Have no underlying condition preventing working any of the above
- Demonstrate a positive, “can-do” attitude
- Ability to follow instructions
- Drive and enthusiasm and commitment to learning
- 4 GCSE’s grade C/ 4 or above including Maths, English and Science