Welsh cy

Help with application

If your son or daughter needs any help with writing their apprenticeship application they can contact the National Careers Service via webchat, phone, web form, callback, face to face or post.

Help with travel costs

The government may offer to help cover the cost of travelling to and from your child’s place of work for the first month of employment if the travel would be a barrier to them taking up the job opportunity. This is a scheme known as the Jobcentre Plus Flexible support fund and is used at the discretion of a Jobcentre Plus Work Coach.

Click here for more info about government support with travel.

Anyone aged 16-25 is entitled to buy a railcard that will give 1/3 off rail travel. https://www.apprenticeextra.co.uk/discounts/16-25-railcard.aspx

Student discount

Apprentices can get an Apprentice NUS student discount card for £11 which gives them access to discounts in a wide range of shops. Click here for student cards.

Childcare help

An apprentice can get help paying for childcare if the care is provided by one of the following:

  • a registered childminder, playscheme, nursery or club
  • childminder with an Ofsted-registered childminding agency
  • registered school
  • home careworks working for a registered home care agency

Help with expenses

If your child is claiming Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Services Credit they may be eligible to claim help with the cost of clothing and equipment when they start work.

If your child is claiming Universal Services Credits or Tax Credits they may still be able to claim. Visit https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators to find out more.

Charities such as Dress for Success and Suited and Booted offer clothing and advice regarding presentation for starting work.

Learning difficulty / disability support

Flexibility regarding the requirements of English and Maths qualifications may be given to anyone who has/has had a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or Education, Health and Care (EHC).

‘Reasonable adjustments’ are a legal requirement for anyone who can be classed as having a disability (either mental or physical) under the Equality Act 2010. The nature of the adjustments must be discussed and agreed upon with the employer but can include flexible working hours, time off for appointments etc. if required.

The Disability Rights UK has a really great guide for about apprenticeships for disabled people. This includes information about legal rights, general information about apprenticeships, advice about disclosing disabilities to employers and more. Click here to download the guide.

Mental health support

A service funded by the Department for Work and Pensions and delivered by Remploy is available to support anyone suffering from mental health issues at work. Their specialist advisors offer:

  • emotional wellbeing support and advice for six months
  • advice regarding workplace adjustments
  • coping strategies
  • step-by-step support plan

Another service that can support your child with mental health at work is the Access to Work scheme. This is also funded by the Department for Work and Pensions. The scheme offers grants to employers to help support adjustments for any employees suffering from qualifying health issues.

The grant can help pay for:

  • specialist equipment, adaptations or support workers
  • help getting to and from work