What's the job?
The job holder will work as part of the Advanced Manufacturing Centre pilot plant team in Unilever Research & Development Port Sunlight (located on the Wirral, close to both Liverpool and Chester), delivering high quality product innovations to support Unilever’s Home and Personal Care category innovation programmes. While doing this they will study part time at the University of Chester towards a BEng degree in chemical engineering. They will work closely with process development engineers, R&D scientists and pilot plant technicians to plan and execute pilot plant manufacturing trials to prescribed specification, hygiene and safety standards and will complete aspects of each of these roles in rotation.
WHERE ARE THEY BASED?
Location: Unilever Port Sunlight, Wirral; close to Chester and Liverpool
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES/ DELIVERABLES
- As a pilot plant operator, support safe and on-time in-full delivery of pilot plant trials. This requires operational support to process development engineers before, during and after manufacture including contribution to experimental design, resource planning, checking of equipment & process designs to ensure safe operation, recording & reporting of experimental data, and the review of trials.
- Management of raw material & finished product inventory (including the use of specialist computer systems) to ensure manufacturing efficiency and traceability, efficient use of storage facilities, and the maintenance of technical and safety databases for materials in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Execution of processing trials, from raw material pre-weigh through to finished product storage, at pilot scale by operating equipment in a manner consistent with relevant SHE policies, Standard Operating Procedures, Good Manufacturing Practises, Hygiene Standards and the relevant experimental design for the study in question.
- Delivering quality by carrying out QC checks on products using analytical equipment such as pH and viscometers, accurately reporting values using digital tools and interrogating control and data acquisition systems for setpoints and actual values.
- Responsibility for the delivery of continuous improvement activities under the direction of the pilot plant manager and safety coordinator as part of our 5S and preventative maintenance programmes.
- Rotation across a number of roles including the above, to bring a multitude of skills and experiences into the AMC team and onward career.
What do you need?
Grades: at least 3 A levels (or equivalent) at grade B or above, to include Chemistry and Maths
Passion for Science, you need to show a genuine interest in science and engineering
Responsibility: You will be working while you study and you will need to show that you have the commitment and initiative to manage the pressue that this brings.
You should have a passion to succeed and an ability to meet deadlines, both at work and within your studies, you should be prepared to take on challenging work that pushes you outside of your comfort zone.
Team working: This is key at Unilever, we have stretching targets and expectations to being able to work well within and support your team is vital
Confidence: From the moment you join you will be working on real projects with real responsibilities and deliverables, we are looing for people who are not afraid to ask questions, learn new skills and speak up
Communication: you must be able to express yourself when working within such a large business environment, you will need to be able to listen to people and communicate clearly to achieve your goals.
You must be eligible to work in the UK.
WHEN DOES IT START?
2nd September 2019