What's the job?
Reporting to Flavour Solutions Packaging Manager, the aim of the role is to manage UK Packaging Development, ensuring this meet both consumer and customer needs and are in compliance with regulatory requirements. The Technologist provides quality, cost effective and environmentally responsible packaging, manages data and specifications, takes ownership of individual projects and provide technical support to the manufacturing sites.
- Manage packaging development projects, manage and attend packaging trials and report outcomes promptly
- Manage packaging specifications and maintain the integrity of associated databases
- Timely completion of pallet plans.
- Establish packaging standards via factory trials to ensure that proposed packaging materials are fit for purpose (i.e. appropriate material/ components, acceptable quality, adequate performance and efficiency on packing line) and to gain approval from all relevant parties.
- Timely completion of packaging workflows
- To be involved in technical validation of new packaging equipment.
- Continuously seek the identification of new technology supporting the company's growth.
- Generate innovative ideas that will take advantage of emerging opportunities.
- Communicate technical information, opportunities and potential risks in business environment to facilitate effective decision making.
About the Company
Founded in Baltimore in 1889 in a room and a cellar by 25-year-old Willoughby McCormick with three employees, McCormick is a global leader in flavour. With 11,000 employees around the world and more than $4.8 billion in annual sales in 2017, the Company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavourful products to the entire food industry, retail outlets, food manufactures and food service businesses.
We have a passion for flavour. The company is serving customers from nearly 50 locations in 27 countries and consumers can buy our brands in more than 135 markets and territories. Our industrial business flavours snacks, wraps, beverages and many other products for customers, which include global restaurant chains and leading food manufacturers.
With approximately 3,200 employees, the company has operations in 14 countries across the Europe, Middle-East and Africa (EMEA) Zone and serves customers in more than 25 markets through its consumer and industrial businesses. McCormick is present in key consumer markets with leading brands, including Schwartz in the UK (customize with local brand). McCormick EMEA Headquarters are in Haddenham (UK).
The company’s long-term goal is to grow sales by 4-6 % globally with three avenues: base business growth through continuous investments behind our brands, product innovations, expanded distribution and acquisitions.
Our growth starts with yours. For more than 125 years McCormick has developed a rich legacy based on our belief in the “Power of People”. We have created an unusually dedicated workforce by fostering a culture of respect, recognition, inclusion and collaboration based on the highest ethical values.
As an Equal Opportunities employer, McCormick is committed to a diverse workforce.
What do you need?
- Graduate in Packaging / Sciences or similar area
- Some packaging food industry experience would be an asset
- Good knowledge of packaging equipment and materials
- Literate with MS Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Self-starter and self-driven to deliver a broad range of projects with excellence and on time in a fast moving and complex environment
- Clear verbal & written communication skills
- Very good attention to detail
- Good organisational skills (with a scientific / methodical approach)
- Sustain a high level of competence within an ever-changing business landscape.
- Works cooperatively with other team members to implement new packaging
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency, effectively analyse and solve technical challenges with sometimes incomplete or ambiguous information