Registration Window to enter next years' competition opens on 1st March - 7th April 2017.
This competition focuses on all the essential skills required for a successful career as a multi-skilled/disciplined Butcher within the Food Manufacturing Industry. This competition tests overall skill, innovation, creativity, presentation, work ethic, method & approach to tasks, carcass & primal utilisation, waste and safe and hygienic working practice.
The competition is organised by Cambrian Training Company and supported by an Industry Steering Group.
What standard is expected?
Find out more about the level of skill required from these Flickr albums:
Download the competition brief
Who can enter?
Entrants do not have to hold any qualifications to enter, however you must not have completed higher than a level 4 in Food Manufacturing Excellence qualification or the equivalent to enter.
Entrants must be able to carry out the following tasks and skills to a satisfactory level as a minimum:
- Good Knife Skills with a minimum of 6 months practical experience.
- Primary & Secondary Butchery including Seam butchery with a minimum of 6 months practical experience.
- Good tying & stringing skills
- Must be able to mix, make, fill out and link sausages using natural skins consistently
- Must be able to use an electric sausage filler & mincer machine safely
- Must be able to supply your own knifes, small cutting equipment
- Must be able to supply display trays, product labels, recipes and cooking instructions where required
- The ability to prepare ready to eat products for example: pies, pasties, terrines, sausage rolls (please note these are just examples and are not limited – see brief for more details)
- Must be able to produce innovative products
- The ability to prepare identical products
How many competitors can enter from each organisation?
We do not have a limit on how many competitors can enter from each organisation but if there is a large capacity entering from one organisation this may have to be reviewed.
The first stage of this National Qualifier is a passive stage, for which you must complete work in your own time and submit it to the competition team for judging. Please download the Task Information – Passive document. Highest scoring competitors across the passive stage will be invited to compete in a live heat.
Please note: it is essential for all competitors to register online using our online registration system; any submissions received without a valid registration will not be eligible for judging.