What's the job?
KP Snacks, Ashby is home to Hula Hoops and many other great KP Brands. Our 400-strong workforce has demonstrated a passion for learning, running “Food Manufacturing Excellence” programs to build on the impressive NVQ awards over recent years, recognised externally with “Investors in People” awards.
Apprenticeship Scope: Product Quality Assurance, Supplier Quality Assurance, Process & Ingredient Technology, Food Legislation/Regulation.
Reporting to a Technical Manager within KP Snacks, the key purpose of the role is to build technical knowledge through a 4 year apprenticeship program. This apprenticeship program will develop business skills through integration of focused academic based modules (via day release) and practical project / work experience, and the program will lead to a Foundation Degree in Food Science & Technology from Nottingham Trent University. As part of the personal development program there will also be opportunities for training to develop work based skills – communication, time management etc.
What you’ll learn as a Technical Apprentice:
- Develop your knowledge of our manufacturing sites, processes and products
- Develop technical knowledge on raw materials used for food manufacture (Cereal flours, starches and potato dehydrates), their production processes and functionality within snack foods
- Develop skills to carry out factory trials and approval independently
- Develop technical knowledge around site quality and food safety principles
- Food Regulations – develop your knowledge on relevant health and nutritional policy (Fats, sugar, salt)
- Develop knowledge on continuous improvement / lean manufacturing principles. Work with site teams to address target areas for continuous improvement i.e. complaints reduction, process improvement and cost release
- Food sustainability – understanding of the environmental impact of food manufacturing. Developing knowledge around our sustainable and environment goals with focus on sustainable materials such as palm oil
What do you need?
The skills you will need to be successful:
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic
- Honest and responsible
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently
- Ability to analyse and scrutinise information
- Ability to work well under pressure and react to changing situations
- Must be willing to travel (day release based at Nottingham Trent University – Southwell Campus). Potential to have periods of work experience at any one of the sites within the group and visits to suppliers. Home site will remain Ashby De La Zouch
- Must be flexible around working hours – during product trials you may be required to start at 06:00 am or work nights
- Ideally holding a valid driver’s licence
- A-levels – DDE including a Science subject; or BTEC Extended Diploma – MPP, including relevant Science modules; or 64 UCAS Tariff points from three A-levels or equivalent qualifications, including an A-level equivalent in a Science subject
- You will also need GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above
- For this course we accept the following Science subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Human Biology, Environmental Studies, Sports Science and Design and Technology: Food Technology
- Applicants without A-levels will have their qualifications assessed for subject compatibility