The Professional Certificate Food Technology (with Bakery, Dairy, Meat or Nutrition Specialism) is aimed at those working in the food manufacturing industry who wish to achieve a higher education qualification, gain credit for their knowledge and experience, and progress within their career.
Learners will choose the Professional Certificate that delivers the specialism route which reflects the industry in which they are employed:
- Professional Certificate Food Technology with Bakery Specialism
- Professional Certificate Food Technology with Dairy Specialism
- Professional Certificate Food Technology with Meat Specialism
- Professional Certificate Food Technology with Nutrition Specialism
The course is suitable for learners working in any food manufacturing related role and aims to develop the learners’ technical and work specific skills. It is offered part-time over 1 year, by blended learning.
The Professional Certificates in Food Technology with Specialisms (Bakery, Dairy, Meat or Nutrition) are designed to provide shorter, bite-size courses for part-time study. You will study two compulsory modules plus one optional choice.
Modules include (optional specialist module*):
- Food Science and Composition
- Food Safety in Manufacturing
- Bakery Technology*
- Dairy Technology*
- Meat Technology*
- Applied Nutrition*
Each module is studied by semester by blended learning. The learner is taught through a mix of workshops at Reaseheath, on-line university resources and a personal tutor. Students will attend for enrolment and course induction, introductory sessions for each module and assessment activities, such as exams or presentations. Depending on content of the module students may also need to attend some practical sessions.
Length of Course
- Part-time: 1 year by blended learning. 3.5 days per module allowance.
- Level 3 qualification (Diploma, NVQ, Apprenticeship) or A Levels (minimum of 150 points) in relevant discipline plus food industry experience with the enthusiasm and aptitude to tackle a higher education course is desirable
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in the food manufacturing industry without the relevant Level 3 qualification and can demonstrate enthusiasm and aptitude for higher level study
- Bakery, dairy or meat food production/technology roles
- Product development
- Food engineering
- Quality and continuous improvement roles